Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Crochet Chunky Throw Blanket

I wanted to make another blanket. I know it's June and is 100° but it will be useful when we're camping in the coast or when fall comes around. It doesn't stay hot forever.... at least that's my excuse when hubby asked why I'm making  a blanket in the summer :)

Earlier this year, hubby bought me a little basket of yarn for Mother's Day (he actual listened to me when I say "All it takes is yarn to make me happy"). I decided to use the Grey Heather yarn to make a chunky blanket. I didn't want to run to the store for super bulky yarn. So I took 3 skeins and used 3 strands to make the blanket. 

I recently purchased a 15mm hook from Amazon because I was going to make another blanket (which I will get to eventually hehe). 

I absolutely hate chaining. Even when I taught my co-workers how to crochet, that was the worst part for me. Okay, maybe chaining isn't so bad but it's when you have to crochet into the chain that makes me absolutely crazy! 

When I first learned about chain-less foundations, it was like discovering light for the first time! I have been in the dark for so long and now, everything has changed. I no longer pass up the scarf projects because I have to "chain".

Here is a video I found that does a pretty good job of showing you how to do a chain-less double crochet foundation. If this one doesn't work for you, just search for a different video. There's so many out there!



This blanket is pretty much just double crochets back and forth after the initial double crochet foundation chain.

Materials:

15mm Hook
Worsted weight yarn (3 strands/skeins combined) the quantity will depend on how big your blanket is
Yarn Needle
Scissors

1) Start with a chain-less double crochet foundation 
OR 
Chain the width of the blanket size you want, double crochet into the 4th chain from the hook all the way to the end

Either method, when you get to the end, ch 3 & turn. Chain 3 counts as a Double
Crochet. 
2) Double crochet into each stitch (not the same one as the chain) all the way to the end. ch 3 & turn

3) Repeat #2 until desired length is reached. Fasten off and weave in all ends. 

You may add edging or just leave as is.

I have so many projects going on that the blanket gets last priority so it feels like it's taking a long time but this blanket really does work up fast since the hook size is so large and double crochet stitches are taller.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Crochet Lulu Pom Pom Scarf

Let's face it. Kids things are cute. They're miniature and the kiddos look good modeling anything! Anyone who knows me knows ...