Sunday, June 26, 2016

Crochet Chunky Tunisian Cowl


I purchased Tunisian (Afghan) hooks a few months ago and had so many projects that I just never had a chance to use it. I finally decided to watch some videos and get started!


To practice, I used a 6mm hook and Red Heart yarn. This was as much as I did before I decided to go for my first project!




If you know me, chunky yarn is my favorite to start off with since it's quicker!


I decided to use the biggest hook I had which was 10mm. 


I found several beginners videos to help me get started on YouTube by the Crochet Crowd:


How to Tunisian Crochet: Cast on

How to Tunisian Crochet: Simple Stitch
How to Tunisian Crochet: Cast Off

These are the 3 simple videos I used to make this cowl.


I cast on (chained) 20 stitches with a 10mm hook. I took it with me to our Father's Day dinner at my in laws. The crazy boys were outside so I worked on the cowl while sitting on the patio. Summers here are very HOT.




Here I am wearing it at work. It's a little chilly in the morning but it's just because I was excited to wear it hehe.




It was surprisingly easy. After I finished, I made another one using the Shell Stitch. Check it out here!

Here are some photos of the stitches. See the links above for the video tutorials.

Chained 20 



Going into the hump and pulling up a loop leaving the stitch on the hook.



Do the same all the way back



*Once I got to the end, chain 1 (yarn over and pull through one loop) 
The repeat all the way back is "yarn over, and pull through 2 loops on hook"



Now you start going back down the other direction. Insert hook through the second "post" (vertical yarn) and pull the yarn through leaving the loop on hook. Repeat all the way down.



On the last stitch, you insert through 2 loops



Now you repeat from * (chain 1, yarn over pull through 2 loops... repeat) See above.


The Front and Back

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crochet Lulu Pom Pom Scarf

Let's face it. Kids things are cute. They're miniature and the kiddos look good modeling anything! Anyone who knows me knows ...