Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Elsa Inspired Crochet Hat

While visiting my sister and my niece, I was told that her birthday party (next month) is a Frozen theme and that my niece will be in an Elsa dress. How cute is that!? Of course, that gave me an idea to make her an Elsa hat to wear to match her dress. She's expecting a baby sister in February so I guess I'll just have to make an Anna newborn hat for a photo session! 

I followed the tutorial by Haley here for the hat. She has a beautiful story to why she made the Elsa & Anna hats. There are 2 videos. Part 1, Part 2.

I followed the tutorial by Yolanda Lopez here for the crown. There's 3 videos. Part 1, Part 2 & Part 3. She's so awesome. She does her tutorials in English and Spanish (not that I understand Spanish but it's great for people who do!)

Visit Anne Granger's site for a sizing chart:



I decided not to use white yarn because I think White is just too white for me... if that makes sense. 

I learned something new with this project. I had never heard of Blocking your crochet work. It's basically shaping your pieces by pinning it to a foam block & lightly wetting or steaming it.




I found these cute little snowflakes at Walmart for $2/pack! Its not Halloween yet & Christmas stuff is already out! I already had the turquoise gemstones for the hair. I also used clear gemstones for the crown. You can get these at Walmart too or Michaels, Jo-Ann's, Hobby Lobby...



I used E6000 to glue the gems & snowflakes on the crown & hair.





I was pretty excited about the finished hat. I can't wait to give it to my niece!


This foam head (with a nose ring!) is small. This is actually for a 2 year old. I know it will fit because I used the sizing chart and I tried it on my son who is 3 months younger than my niece. Shhhh! Don't tell daddy!


I wish I had more time to crochet. I squeeze in crochet time while I'm nursing or the baby is napping & my 4 year old is out playing in the yard. 

I really wanted to finish this last night so while I was crocheting the crown, I had the baby strapped to me and had to chase my 20 month old around... why? Because he grabbed my yarn and started running! He was giggling and laughing because he thinks it's funny. 

So I had to crochet standing up with my yarn on a high surface to finish. The 2 month old was fussy so I'm bouncing around and trying to watch the tutorial on my tiny little iPhone! Sometimes I think I'm crazy and just need to sit down. haha really? I have time to sit down? I'm nursing as I type right now!

As crazy as it gets... these are moments as a mom of 3 little boys that I will look back and truly miss. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crochet Lulu Pom Pom Scarf

Let's face it. Kids things are cute. They're miniature and the kiddos look good modeling anything! Anyone who knows me knows ...