Monday, August 15, 2016

Crochet Granny Square Top


When I first saw ChiWei post her granny square top, I knew that I was going to make one! I loved how it looked on her (I was aware things always look bad on me!) haha but that wasn't going to stop me from making one! I knew that the granny square stitch was easy to work with and works up pretty quickly. 

ChiWei recommended a cotton yarn since hers was wool and I can't wear wool :( At least not for long periods of time! I went into my yarn stash and decided to check to see if I had enough of one color worsted weight yarn. The Caron Simply Soft is a little lighter than most worsted weight yarn so I decided to try that. I had 4 or 5 skeins of the Taupe color (I have no idea why I had so many but I was glad I did!).

The granny square portion of the Granny Squared Crochet Top was easy since I already knew how to work that part of it. It was done a little differently than the way I do my granny squares which usually ends and begins at a corner. Hers ended and started in the middle of one side of the square. Since I didn't want to screw up by doing my own thing, I just followed her pattern.

When I got to the waffle stitch part, the pattern wasn't right for my piece. I have never done a waffle stitch before so I looked on YouTube and found several tutorials. I realized that the stitches weren't matching up on my piece. I don't know if it's because we didn't end up with the same rows of granny square stitches or if I screwed up somewhere along the way. I continued the pattern on my own completing the stitches so that the waffle stitches come out right.


When I sewed the sides together, I was pretty nervous since I hate seaming things together! It ended up being too short! Luckily, I was able to add more waffle stitches since I haven't seamed the shoulders. My other thought was to add some double crochets at the bottom to match the sleeves but I went with extended the waffle stitches.

I modeled the top and took photos using a tripod. I tried wearing an orange top under and it didn't look right.


Then I switched to black since ChiWei said it looked better in darker colors. As I finished, I realized that I had the top inside out! hahaha That's soooo me! I took glasses off and although my iPhone was attached to the camera so that I can see myself with the camera feature on my phone, I couldn't see clearly! 

If I only knew while smiling silly for the camera! You can see that the waffle stitches does not look right!


Luckily I noticed before I was done and flipped it and took more photos!


My jeans are getting too big... which is a good thing because I have lost 12 pounds!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Crochet Lulu Pom Pom Scarf

Let's face it. Kids things are cute. They're miniature and the kiddos look good modeling anything! Anyone who knows me knows ...