Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Crochet Newborn Beanie Pattern


I've been teaching crochet at work and although my attendees have dwindled down, I still have a few interested people. I will be helping with a newborn beanie. The yarn that was chosen was bulky and the hook size recommended was 8mm. 

This is my go-to chart when I'm sizing my work. It's not always perfect because everyone's tension is difference and it all depends on the stitches you use as well. It's a starting point for me and it usually comes out close to it. You can adjust size by changing the size yarn, hook or fixing your tension (which is harder to do). I have had a huge problem finding the source for this image. It has been used on everyone's blog. I have this saved on my phone.



Supplies: 

Bulky Yarn - Bernat Softee Chunky
8mm Hook
Yarn Needle
Scissors
Tape Measure

Abbreviations:

ch - Chain
sc - Single Crochet
dc - Double Crochet
sl st - Slip Stitch

Pattern Notes:

The chain 2 does not count as a double crochet throughout pattern. 

Pattern:

Round 1: Two Options for staring the hat - Chaining and Magic Ring (refer to the video for instructions)



Starting with chaining: ch 4, sl st to first chain forming a ring. ch 2, 12 dc into the ring, sl st to top of first dc (12 stitches)

Starting with a magic ring: With the magic ring, ch 2 and then do 12 dc into the ring, sl st to the top of the first dc (12 stitches)

Round 2 (increase round): ch 2, 2 dc into each stitch all the way around. sl st to the top of the beginning dc. (24 stitches). 

My hat measured 4.25 inches which is where I want to stop increasing (see chart)


Round 3-5: ch 2, 1 dc into each stitch all the way around. sl st to the top of the beginning dc. (24 stitches)

At this point my hat measure 4.25 inches but I wanted to add 2 rounds of single crochet for a nicer edge.

Round 6-7: ch1 (does not count as a sc). 1 sc into each stitch all the way around. sl st into the top of the first sc. (24 stitches)

Fasten off and weave in all ends. 

You can add buttons or flowers, etc. Whatever you'd like!

You may sell products using ©Handmade by Phanessa Patterns, but please give credit and link back to the patterns. Please send me a message if there are errors to the pattern handmadebyphanessa@gmail.com. Thank you!

7 comments:

  1. I really loved this beanie and it was so easy to make. Many thanks. I do beanies for charity donating them to the Royal Women's Hospital, Brisbane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! Glad you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great video. Great beanie. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely love this thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this pattern! Is it possible for you to give the number of increase stitches for the rest of the sizes? For example: Say a 1-3 yr old. What is the final number of increase stitches for that size? I don't need complete patterns. Just the final number of stitches for each size. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the chart and pattern. I'm not great with chunky wool but I found some lovely soft chunky and decided to use it to make baby hats to donate to the maternity hospital. I would normally use crab stitch for a finish but found it too difficult with the thick hook. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you increase rounds? Keep doing 2 DC in each round?

    ReplyDelete

Crochet Lulu Pom Pom Scarf

Let's face it. Kids things are cute. They're miniature and the kiddos look good modeling anything! Anyone who knows me knows ...