Thursday, July 10, 2014

Crochet Newborn Basket Prop using Fabric

There's an awesome tutorial here for a DIY crochet basket. If you're a beginner, I recommend you go to that tutorial :) It even has instructions to make the fabric yarn out of fabric. I already made my own fabric yarn. See the tutorial here!

My base for the basket is about 13 inches. It's a little bigger than the linked tutorial. The purpose of my basket is to use it as a newborn prop so I need it a little larger.



I used about a king size flat sheet ($3 at Goodwill!) to make the Fabric yarn. The crochet hook I used was a 15.75 mm. I didn't have anything between 12-15mm. I went bigger. 


You start with a magic circle and crochet 8 single crochet stitches


Working in a continuous round (a marker would be helpful):

2 single crochets (increase) in each stitch. Remember to go through 2 loops. You'll end up with 16 stitches.


Next, single crochet in the first stitch and 2 single crochets (increase) in the next stitch. Repeat this all the way around. I use the tail to mark the beginning of the next round (like the photo below). I move it up after each round.



Next, single crochets in the next 2 stitches and 2 single crochets (increase) in the next stitch (1, 1, 2...) & repeat all the way around. 


Each round you will add another single crochet stitch before an increase stitch.

1, 1, 1, 2 
1, 1, 1, 1, 2
1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2

Stop when you have reached the desired width. Again, mine was 13 inches.

Because it's already imperfect and chunky, adding more fabric was no biggie. I just double knotted and continued.



Once I got my desired width, I started single crochet stitches through front loop only. This is different from the linked tutorial that goes through both loops. It's a personal choice. 


After this round of one loop only, you will do one single Crochet through both loops until you reach your desired height. 



I purchased the other 2 baskets from Ross for about $8. Pretty good deal :) but something about making your own makes it better and for $3!


And here is my son who surprised us by arriving 6 weeks early but he did so well in the NICU, he came home in one week!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Crochet Lulu Pom Pom Scarf

Let's face it. Kids things are cute. They're miniature and the kiddos look good modeling anything! Anyone who knows me knows ...