Monday, July 7, 2014

Crocheted Olaf

My son recently fell in love with the Disney movie, Frozen (I hear most kids are!). He got the movie for his 4th birthday & I think (almost) everyone can agree that Olaf is the funny character in the movie. So of course, everyone is selling the pattern to make Olaf on Etsy.  

Let me tell you a secret... I hate reading patterns! Okay, it's no secret. I just can't follow along. I'm a visual learner. It's how I learned to crochet. I watch YouTube videos!

I couldn't find any videos on YouTube so I decided to just wing it. And I'm pretty excited about the results! I would make his head a little different next time but I thought it was great for my first try especially since I don't crochet toys. Most of my crochet projects are related to photography props. 

PATTERNS: If you're still interested, I found a free pattern here and this tutorial (I think that's what it was) is beautiful however it wasn't in English! :( Good luck!

It's pretty easy if you know your basic stitches, how to increase, decrease and attach parts...

Let me tell you the story of why I decided to make one.

We were shopping for food for the 4th of July BBQ earlier in the day. As soon as I walked into the supermarket, there was a big claw machine thing with nothing but plush Olaf toys. Naturally it drew my attention. I love to play with those claw machines. It's an addiction you can almost compare to gambling (haha maybe not). 

My 4 year old son gets excited because he knows that the prize will drop into the space where he will be waiting to open. I really didn't think about how upset he would be if I didn't get a prize.... drum roll please....... I didn't get the prize. *gasps*

He was so sad and whined about it the whole shopping trip. What does mommy do? She crochets him one! The twigs (on head and arms) are actually brown but the photo looks black.






 I had Logan close his eyes and I put Olaf in front of him with my camera ready. I said , "Open!"



Glad he liked it!



1 comment:

Crochet Lulu Pom Pom Scarf

Let's face it. Kids things are cute. They're miniature and the kiddos look good modeling anything! Anyone who knows me knows ...