Saturday, May 21, 2016

Crochet Dream Catcher


I'm so inspired by all the beautiful Dream Catchers I see on Pinterest. I'm making one for my son who just loves Dream Catchers but a friend saw my HandmadebyPhanessa Instagram post and said her daughter wanted one. 

I decided to make her one first before I finish the one for my son (I still need some additional supplies to finish his).

I used a 8" embroidery hoop (inner hoop). I purchased a few fat quarters in shades of pink and the rest of the stuff I already had. 

Supplies (I used):

8" Embroidery Hoop (inner piece)
Yarn (Red Heart Super Saver)
5.5mm Crochet Hook
Fabric Strips (Fat Quarters)
Lace Ribbons
Ribbons
Yarn Needle
Scissors
Hot Glue
Large Wooden Beads
Beads

The eye of the dream catcher was made following this Free Coaster Pattern. I used a 5.5 mm hook and Red Heart Super Saver Yarn in White.


I cut pieces of the fat quarter fabric to wrap around my hoop. They were about 3/4-1 inch strips. I used hot glue to secure it. I had random yarn, ribbon, fabric and lace around that I added to the bottom portion.

Once I completed the middle piece, it looked small but I knew that it would stretch. Using another piece of long yarn, attach the eye by threading through the chain spaces on the tips. Once I was done. I went back and pulled on the yarn to make it tighter and it'll reach closer to the hoop. I didn't want it to touch the hoop.

Start attaching your fabric (ripped looks better), ribbons, lace and whatever else you want to add. I used about 2 pieces for each different piece I had. When measuring the pieces, make it twice as long because you will fold it in half and loop it through the hoop. I decided that I want the outside pieces to be shorter and coming down like a "V" shape.


I used the same white yarn to add the large wooden beads. You'll need a yarn needle that will fit through the holes of the beads. Luckily I have even smaller ones (for the little beads later). Make sure to tie a knot on the bottom so the beads don't fall out.



I used chain stitches to make a loop on the top to hang. Adding cute little beads makes it so pretty!


I can't wait to give it to my friend's daughter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crochet Lulu Pom Pom Scarf

Let's face it. Kids things are cute. They're miniature and the kiddos look good modeling anything! Anyone who knows me knows ...