Monday, May 9, 2016

Crochet Granny Square Shrug



I have been on a mission to do at least one large project I can wear. I recently made a Crochet Chevron Blanket and it was a large project (for me, anyway). 

I wanted to make a cocoon/shrug. I found a few on Pinterest. There was one I really liked but it didn't really have a pattern. I decided to give it a try anyway because the instruction provided was easy to follow. The "recipe" can be found here.

I was a little nervous and scared about following the recipe since I wasn't sure if it would fit me. I kept putting it on my back to see if it was a fit. In the end, I made the granny square 41 inches (following the recipe).

I was super excited when I finished it but it turned out really big for me. I didn't follow the recipe as far as adding the short sleeves and collar portion because that would have made it even bigger. At this point I'm not sure if I will keep it as is or rip it back a little and make it smaller.

The problem is I want it long but I'm not wide so I need it in a rectangle shape in order for it to fit me. 

I used Red Heart's (Super Saver Accents) Putty color. the stitches are Granny Squares in rounds until you get a square. I used a 5.5mm hook since that's what the yarn recommended. 

Granny Square:

ch - chain
st - stitch
dc - double crochet
sl st - slip stitch

Starting with a magic ring,

Round 1: Ch 3 (counts as the first double crochet through out pattern)
2 dc into the ring, ch2 (you now have your first cluster of 3 dc)

*3 dc into the ring, ch2
Repeat from * until you have 4 sets of dc clusters of 3
sl st to the top of the ch 3 st

You need to always start on the corner chain 2 space. To do that, you'll need to slip stitch until you get to the chain 2 space.

sl st into the next 2 stitches and then sl st into the ch2 space,



 Ch 3


Round 2: 2 dc into the ch2 space, ch2, 3 dc into the same ch2 space
*3 dc into the next ch2 space (corner), ch2, 3 dc into the same ch2 space
Repeat from * into all 4 corners.
sl st into the next 2 stitches and then sl st into the ch2 space



Round 3: Ch 3, 2 dc into the ch2 space, ch2, 3 dc into the same ch2 space
*3 dc into the next space between the previous ch3 clusters 



When you're not working in the corners, there is no ch 2 spaces. The ch 2 space only happens in the corner spaces of the square.




3 dc into the next ch2 space (corner), ch2, 3 dc into the same ch2 space
Repeat from * all the way around
sl st into the top of the ch3 st
sl st in each st until you get to corner again

Repeat until your piece measures 41 inches. 
Each corner of the square will be (3 dc clusters, ch2, 3 dc clusters)
Each edge will be just 3 dc clusters into the space between the previous clusters (no ch 2 spaces on edge of square)

The last round will be dc all the way around.

Fold square in half with wrong sides facing out. sl st from open edge going in towards the folds leaving about 7 inches for an arm hole. I find that if you slip stitch the inside loops only, it creates a flatter seam. It's a personal preference. Do this for both sides

Turn the piece inside out with the right side of the stitches on the outside. I stopped here. You can follow her recipe on the provided link to add sleeves and a collar but it would have been too big for me (as it already was too big).

I think the hardest part of this project was figuring out the size. I really think I will put it apart down to the size I think will fit me better. More to come soon!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Crochet Lulu Pom Pom Scarf

Let's face it. Kids things are cute. They're miniature and the kiddos look good modeling anything! Anyone who knows me knows ...